Sunday, November 29, 2009

"So My Big Brother Was Playing Guitar, And I Figured I'd Try it Too."

And I suppose that if Stevie Ray Vaughan could pick it up that easily, then anyone could.

Right?

Well, we'll see I guess. Personally, it's not like I've never held a guitar before--because I have. Strummed the thing a bit, learned a D chord....you know, the easy stuff. And generally, people who play, sure make the instrument look easy to play. Just crazy easy. Place your fingers here, run your hand over the strings there and voila! instant sound! I mean, how hard can this be?
You can't say that about just any instrument. Try voila! on a violin.....

....then try again for about 2 years. No joke.

Or a flute. Or the drums. And some people find the piano incredibly difficult. So there you go.

But the guitar.......

Like I said, "We'll see..."

***

My husband, such the wonderful guy that he is, let me pick out my own guitar last weekend. It was our anniversary (13 yrs to be exact), and he was feeling overly generous. So we went to the local guitar shop and drooled over the Taylors and Martins and beautiful expensive things that I couldn't name if I tried. There were yellow ones and blue ones and green ones and little ones and big ones.

Goodnight. Where to start? I just need something with strings, man!

So we tracked down the sales guy (read: guitar freak who'd rather make little pay just to play with guitars all day), and had him give us the rundown. What makes a good guitar, good? What's with all the sizes? What's with all the prices??

Well, let's just say that after about 2-3 hours of Guitar Buying 101, listening to different ones being played, actually touching various sizes and styles, I figured out what I wanted.


This, my friends, was my Christmas present from my husband (Yes, I know I said anniversary, but it's technically for Christmas). And I am in guitar newbie heaven. It is an entry-level (read: inexpensive) Concert size Ibanez, sunburst pattern.

Isn't it pretty?


Got a case, a strap, some picks, new strings, a string winder (?), and a capo (in order to play some songs that I already know I want to try) before I left the shop as well. I should be all set.







Now.


For the playing part....

Uhhhhhhh.......any good songs use only a D chord?


No comments:

Post a Comment