Tuesday, December 1, 2009

And Then There Was an "A"

Seeing as how I don't know NEAR as much about playing my new guitar as I would want, it was time to give up on being self-sufficient. I mean, I've heard that there is such a thing as a self-taught guitarist (kinda like those self-made millionaires....makes you wonder if it's a gimmick). And I can honestly say that there is a LOT online that you can pick and choose from to facilitate this endeavor.

HOWEVER, it appears to me that learning how to play the guitar WELL by finding random stuff online is a lot like trying to eat a gourmet meal from a dumpster.

Yup. Not likely.

Can it be done? I suppose. But why would you want to?

Sooooo. That being said, today, I downloaded a program---an entire guitar learning course---to help me learn the old fashioned way.

(Ok....old fashioned might be stretching it.)

But when you are a stay-at-home-mom to 6 kids, you can just forget seeing a teacher for guitar lessons. Even if I HAD the $15/week it would take to pay the instructor, I just don't think I could make it work at this stage of my life. See, we live in a rural area, and the closest town is 10-15 minutes away.

And we all know that you can't just find a great guitar teacher in a small town. You generally have to go to a big city for that.

And that, my dear friends, is almost a half hour away.

So:

Rural home+not a lot of money+a lot of kids to care for-TIME=





ROCK ON!

(Ahem....)

So yeah, I hooked up with this sweet program today. You can buy the course as the books and DVDs, or as a downloadable course that you can access anytime on your computer. Which, in my case, is JUST what I needed.

And guess what??? I already looked over Lesson One (no, I didn't try it yet....stay tuned), and they teach you TWO whole chords in the first lesson (the D AND an A!)! And TABS! And, and, and....STRUMMING PATTERNS!

In the first lesson! Can you get over that?

I think my husband is going to miss me......

No comments:

Post a Comment