Monday, December 7, 2009

Jamorama Lesson 2






Here's the example of tabulature (tabs) that I wanted to show you:



Not sure how well you can see this, but this is actually from the Jamorama program for Lesson 2. I also don't know if you'll normally find the name of the chord on top of the chart like they have here, but for beginner ease, they put it on there. And just like your guitar is set up, the strings go from high E on the top to low E on the bottom. Kinda like if you turn the neck of the guitar to look at the strings when your playing. And each number represents a fret: so the 2 in the chart means you put a finger on that string on the second fret, the three means a finger on that string on the third fret, and so on. The 0 represents no fretting, just playing the open string. An X means that string isn't sounded.

On this chart, each line of numbers is one beat in the rhythm of the song....4 beats per measure. So you play the A chord 4 times, then switch to the D for the next four counts....get it?

I've looked up some tabs online, and I found that many people use them for the lead guitar parts--to denote all the little intricacies of playing that way. I have yet to see tabs for the rhythm parts, because a lot of sites just use chord charts. But either way, it's VERY good to know how to read this stuff, because I have come across it many times, and will again, no doubt.

And hey....who's to say? Maybe I'll be tearing up an axe with the best of them someday....

(...ok, maybe not....I'm more of a Kum Ba Yah kinda gal)

No comments:

Post a Comment